Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Twenty Five Wonderful Years Together


I'm a little late posting this but it was such a crazy holiday season that I just didn't stop long enough to write. On December 24, 2008, Russ and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. Yep, we were the crazy ones who got married on the coldest day of the year in the midst of a winter storm. Somehow we blinked and 25 years have passed. I don't feel any older (well maybe a few more aches than then) but when I look back, I'm in awe of all we've packed into those 25 years. We've lived in eleven different houses, three states, four different countries and have seen a lot of places I only ever dreamed of seeing. We raised three beautiful children (one boy and two girls), have said goodbye to one parent each and watched them suffer through terminal illnesses. Russ has run marathons and has logged many miles of running. I did three terms as a PTA president, one term as a VP and several secretary and chairperson seats within the PTA and the Booster Clubs. I've dabbled in a lot of different crafts within these years from quilt making, crocheting, tole painting, cake decorating, cross-stitch, ikebana, oshie, bonsai and my current all time favorite of scrapbooking. I've taught classes in scrapbooking, bible classes, and even taught nine classes in a scrapbook jamboree weekend. Russ learned to golf, landscape, tile, furniture refinishing and all around handiman in the house. He led songs at church, taught bible classes and held the office of a deacon. We've cheered our kids on through piano lessons, gymnastics, swimming lessons, soccer games, softball games, volleyball games, spelling bees, and band. We've laughed, we've cried, we've struggled and succeeded, we've wished, we've prayed, we've hoped and dreamed. It's been a great ride through 25 years with the most special man by my side. When I was searching for my prince charming, I had many things that I knew that I wanted in a man before I could agree to marry him. I dated several through the years that were wonderful men but I just knew they weren't right for one reason or another. When I met Russ, I think I knew right away he was the one. He caught my heart from the start and has never lost it since. I am truly blessed to wear the name of such a wonderful man. He's treated me well, taught me a lot, been a great Dad, and a great role model for many. I've watched many friends' marriages fall apart through the years and it always makes me thankful for the love and respect we have for each other. Marriage is a wonderful thing when you are with the right person. My prince charming is a piano-playing, marathon running, engineer with a heart of gold. Still in love after all these years.

No comments: