Saturday, August 23, 2008

Crazy Frustrating Summer

It's been awhile since I've written on here so I thought I'd better do an update and try once again to be more regular with posting. So much has happened this year that it's been hard to sit down and do much of anything extra. I'm longing for those carefree days when I could just sit and scrap and have company over and just enjoy life. Where did they go this year?
In March, Russ and I went on a mini vacation to Mississippi where he had a training course to attend. While traveling we discussed the idea of him pursueing other jobs because he was getting frustrated with his job at Ft. Carson. I encouraged him and told him that I would be fine with leaving and I can be happy anywhere as long as we're all together. We discussed the new challenges of making a move now that our kids are much older and might not want to follow us. All in all we decided we would take it as it came. Well it came at us quickly in April when he landed a job in Peachtree City, GA. It was a promotion for him and something he's been hoping to do for a long time so we felt that he should take it. The only problem was that it was our youngest daughter, Hannah's senior year coming up. We both felt it would not be fair to her to move her on her senior year so we decided we would have to pretend like we're a military family with a deployed husband and he would go on to the job and I would stay behind with Hannah to finish up her senior year and try to sell the house. We both knew it would be hard since we've never really been apart more than two weeks at a time but we figured we could travel back and forth monthly and see each other and we would make it work. That's when my world went topsy turvy. We immediately went to work getting the house ready for selling and found a realtor. He left Colorado on Memorial Day weekend and I don't think I've cried that much in a long time. That first week was really rough. I was thrown right into house selling by the first week of June. We were having showings almost daily and I was finding it quite challenging trying to keep up with the inside and outside chores of the house. We were excited when near the end of June we got our first offer on the house. It was a preacher and family and they had cash. Their offer was good and they wanted to close within two weeks. They brought their church friends out to look at the house and they seemed to be "in love" with our house. I felt like it was going to be an easy sale and life was going along pretty smoothly with our plans. I hurriedly looked for and found a three bedroom apartment we could move into and set up the movers and moving day for the household shipments. I moved us into the apartment with the help of my church family on the weekend before I was supposed to fly out to GA to see Russ. I even had them take down curtains, pictures, shelves. I was sure that all was going along as planned and we had secure buyers. I was flying out on a Tuesday morning and we would have movers at the house a few days after my return trip. Monday evening at about 5:00 my realtor called me with the bad news that the buyers had backed out. More crying. I called all my church friends and they all came out and helped me hang pictures, curtains and shelves back up and re-stage our home for showings while I was gone. I flew out the next morning and had a relaxing 10 days with Russ checking out our new home. We had planned that we would be house shopping at the time but it didn't quite work out that way. As soon as I returned, though, the stress hit once again. I now had to decide if I should stay in the apartment and hope to sell soon or move back home and break the lease. I went and researched how much I would owe if I broke the lease and it was about $1,600 to $2000 depending on how soon in the month I decided to break the lease. Talk about sick feeling. I fretted about it for a few days and after talking to friends decided to go ahead and stick it out for the month and see how things went. In the meantime I was traveling back and forth between house and apt. and trying to upkeep both. I had four living expenses to pay for (our apt. our house, Russ's apt. and Amber's apt.) So I was feeling a little overwhelmed with all the bills to pay. Then the car problems started hitting and I had to put almost $1,500 into car repairs. My cat, Gizmo decided this was a good time to tear his ACL tendon in his leg and we had to put him in for surgery for that at another $1,200. I then get a phone call that my Mom had fallen and broken her hip and was taken to the hospital. So by this time, I was about to lose it. Poor Russ is in GA listening to my crying calls about every other day and feeling a little helpless to ease my pain. By the time the end of July hit I had to decide once again whether I should pay the next month's rent or move home. I called our realtor and she said we had another family who wanted to put an offer on the house. That was all I needed to hear so I paid the rent and then started the process all over again with the new buyers. I called and set up movers and they started the appraisal process and inspections. I kept telling myself, surely bad luck was over and this would all work out but the little voice in my head kept saying....I can't get too excited, they may back out. Sure enough the day they had to reply to the inspection report, they too decided to back out of the house sale. By this time I'm feeling like quite a "cursed woman". I was being hit from every side. I told Russ I had had enough and I wanted to move back home. I took in my 30 day notice and set up to have help with the move. I did a good part of the moving on my own taking loads on dishes and food one day, clothes and scrapping stuff the next day so that by Saturday the guys just needed to help me move the furniture. In the meantime I was told by the apt. people that if I could find someone to take my apt. in the next few weeks, I wouldn't owe the lease breaking fines. So I put the apt. on Craigslist and got a response the next day. Cory met the couple at the apt to show it to them and they seemed like they wanted it. Then they went into the office to find out what would be needed to get into the apt. and then we didn't hear from them again. The second call was from a nice girl from Fla who had just accepted a job in CS and needed a place and was very interested. Cory took pictures of it for me to send to her and she decided she wanted the apt. She told me her only problem would be that she had had identity theft and so pulling a credit report on her would not be accurate but she had documentation that showed that it had been investigated and she had been cleared. She could pass all their other criteria of job, rental history and criminal checks. The office girls were not happy about that and we began to feel like they really didn't want this to happen. They wanted my money and fees and then to be able to re rent it and collect the new person's fees. So we decided to add her mom into the picture so that she could be assured that she would be able to qualify. There should have been no reason for her not to qualify but she called me this morning to tell me that they decided not to qualify her. I told her that was just the way my summer has gone. I'm in GA as all of this is happening again so I won't be able to deal with it all until I return. I keep asking myself...."Can't something go right for me this summer" I'm beginning to wonder if there's a reason it's all going negative on me. I'm just hoping things will be looking up for fall. This is one summer I'm ready to see it go.

No comments: